Two days in a row of yoga practice– a new personal record! And oh, so wonderful!
Today what I got from the teacher was the word “notice.” She asked us to notice our breath, to notice our thoughts when we were holding a pose and when we were meditating in the beginning and the end, to notice how parts of our body felt before, during, and after poses. I’ve taken more efforts over the years to notice little things. That was one of my efforts at the beginning of this blog when I was taking pictures everyday for my “streak.” I would take photos of things I noticed in my everyday life.
And here are some things I noticed today:
- My mind and body feel great after practicing yoga two days straight. If only I had the time and money to do it everyday!
- Glassblowing is hard! I had a groupon for a class today and went with a friend to give it a try. It was quite challenging, but we were able to make some things to keep! I was reminded about the value of craftsmen and artists, people who use their hands to make things and who hone their skills over many years of making, doing, and practicing. In another life, I would love to be a craftswoman.
- Fresh fish is crucial to enjoying sushi. When the fish is really fresh, it almost melts when you chew on it, and there’s no fishy taste, just the texture of butter-like meat sliding down your throat. Yum.
- Electricity is an important part of everyday life. The power went out tonight, and I was sitting in the semi-dark (it was just after dusk), sweating because it was hot and humid and my apartment retains hot air and humidity, with nothing to do other than text with friends. It was nice, though, to hear the quiet outside (no AC’s running, mainly). And it was nice just sitting in the dark and the quiet, fanning myself, trying not to wish too hard that the electricity would come on. Just trying to be in the moment and let myself be.
- Clouds are beautiful. They make the sky so interesting. And when it’s sunset, they’re especially breathtaking. Here is a set that I noticed on my walk down at the beach this evening prior to sunset and took from a few vantage points in my walk:
(Hey, this slideshow option is cool– WordPress did it automatically for me– I didn’t need to know any HTML for it! If you notice, these are four photos of the same set of clouds, just in different settings.)
I want to notice more things on a daily basis:
- my breath. Feeling the in and out. My lungs filling and rinsing out.
- the graffiti on the walls, sidewalks, buildings. To see if there are interesting messages for the world to see.
- the things I take for granted. Electricity. Running water. Fresh air. A car and a driver’s license. Family that loves me and is functional (but not without its quirks!).
What did you notice today?